Wednesday, November 10, 2010

what now? ; ten

I woke up the next morning and there he was, by my side, exactly where he should be. I gently placed my hand on his cheek and his face scrunched up and I just chuckled. His eyes slowly opened and a smile spread across his face.

“Hi”

“Hey”

“I’m surprised you stayed” I said.

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“This makes things really complicated Max…”

“I know”

“You know, I had so much to tell you…”

“You still can” he said.

I stood up, wrapped a sheet around me and looked over at him. It was hard to even get remotely mad at him with that look on his face.

“I love you…Max Talbot, I did from the moment we met, and I never stopped…”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he asked, putting his jeans back on before standing up.

“Because…I didn’t want to be the one to try and keep you from what you really want”

“Then why didn’t you come?”

“You didn’t even ask me!”

“Would you have if I did?”

“I might have thought about it more if you did” I replied, “It would have been hard to leave my entire life behind, but if I knew you were a sure thing…maybe I would have…”

He placed his hand on my cheek and looked right at me, “Do you know how different things could be right now?”

“You mean I wouldn’t have to fight for you?”

“Is that why you came here?”

“Of course it is you idiot. I was tired of moping, you were the only thing that could fix me, and she was in the way, but to be honest, I didn’t really care. I would do anything to have you be mine again”

A small smirk formed on his lips and I couldn’t help but smile, “Well here’s a fact. I love you too, I never stopped, and I will gladly be yours again, if you’ll let me”

“You need to talk to her first”

“Okay, if that’s what it will take”

I just placed a small kiss on his lips and wrapped my arms around his neck, “Promise me you won’t leave again” I whispered.

“I promise”

--

“You’re…leaving me?” her eyes started to well up with tears, and my heart started breaking.

“I’m…sorry Annie…I love her”

“I thought you loved me too”

“I do, it’s just--”

“I thought…you were the one Max…”

“Annie…you know we were doomed from the start”

“I love you”

“I’m sorry Annie…”

“I’m not letting you go that easily Max”

“You’ll find someone Annie, someone that loves you…like I couldn’t” I said as I moved towards the door.

“I’m pregnant”

I turned around quickly and stared at her for a moment, “Are you joking? Don’t play with me Annie”

“I’m not lying” she smiled, “We’re gonna have a baby”

In that moment, everything seemed to be happening in slow motion, there was no way I could leave her now.

No comments:

Post a Comment